Duplicate Email Messages In Outlook/Outlook Express
If you are receiving duplicate e-mail messages on your computer when using Outlook or Outlook Express, there may be a corrupted e-mail within your in-box on the mail server. To delete the corrupted message follow these steps:
- Login to your Webmail Account:
Open your web browser and access your webmail account by entering the following in your address bar: http://www.MyDomain.com/webmail (*Replace "MyDomain" with your actual domain name)
- Enter your User Name (e.g. your Full E-mail Address) and Password to login
- Delete the corrupted/damaged message(s) that are creating duplicates on your computer
(*In some cases it may be necessary to delete all of your in-box messages on the server. However, only do this AFTER (1) attempts at resolving the issue are unsuccessful and (2) you are certain that you have a full copy of all your email on your computer.)
Possible Causes of Duplicate Emails on Outlook Express
"Leave Messages on the Server" checkbox has been selected in your Outlook/Outlook Express account settings.
Uncheck the "Leave Messages on the Server" box.
- Click the menu option at the top of Outlook/Outlook Express: Tools » Accounts
- In the window that opens (Internet Accounts), select the Mail Tab
- Click on the Mail Account, then select Properties » Advanced
- Remove the checkmark in the box "Leave a copy of messages on server"
The following information is taken from Microsoft Help and Support.
Outlook/Outlook Express downloads e-mail messages from a POP3 server twice. Outlook downloads messages from a Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) server again after it empties the Deleted Items folder, even if you have both the "Leave a copy of messages on the server" and the "Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items" options enabled on the POP3 account.
This is an issue with Outlook and there is not an available workaround for this problem. Simply delete the duplicate messages.